Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Thoughts

We certainly live in unpresedented times. With the Presidential election now decided it is time to look to the future and prepare for what lies ahead. I believe that now more than ever it is important to strengthen our testimonies. The world is changing in so many ways and seemingly so quickly! I want to share a quote I came across on my cousin Sarah's blog. I think it is very enlightening and will help us be prepared for the future.

"Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency.

Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions.In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . .Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . . This new irreligious imperialism seeks to disallow certain opinions simply because those opinions grow out of religious convictions.

*Resistance to abortion will be seen as primitive..

*Concern over the institution of the family will be viewed as untrendy and unenlightened....

Jesus said that when the fig trees put forth their leaves, 'summer is nigh.' Thus warned that summer is upon us, let us not then complain of the heat."
--- Elder Neal A. Maxwell

I try to be content with my lot, knowing that God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me [except] to do his will.
---Joseph Smith

9 comments:

Sariahfied said...

So I am finally doing a little better, I cried my eyes out last night. We live in such a scarey world, we need to make sure our families are doing everything possible to stay strong and faithful!!! I have to remind myself that Heavenly Father knows all and will not leave us alone! Your house is coming along beautifully!!! I am so excited for you, it is amazing!!! Also, how fun that you are a twin! Soo pretty X 2!:)

Cat said...

hey michelle i just found your blog. i need your email so you can see our blog. just email me at catharine_butler@yahoo.com i miss you so much!!
Cat

Lucky said...

I couldn't agree more with you and Sara. I am devastated! I have no words to address my sorrow, at what is going to become of our country...But this has been foretold to us by prophet after prophet. In all the scriptures.

We've had a long run enjoying our freedoms. Now we have to prepare for those to be stripped, little by little. We just have to hang on and continue to do what's right.

I apologize for the length, but this is straight from my gut...

Jamie said...

Wow, that was a great quote. Hey, FYI: I changed my blog address so I could delete my last name from all of my blog posts and info to safeguard our family. My new blog address is www.thebeaniebunch.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Enough said!!

Sarah Stout said...

We ALL have a right to our freedom of speech and freedom of action. In order to preserve those rights, we need to keep standing up for our beliefs, as you are doing here. Thank you for posting this!

It's incredibly sad, however, to see that people are trying to attack our freedom of speech and freedom of thought in this country.

Yes, we believe differently than others do about Proposition 8 and other matters. That does not mean that we should be denigrated because of our beliefs, just as those in opposition to Proposition 8 wouldn't want us to denigrate their right to speak out about their own beliefs.

I have had a few anonymous people leave comments on my blog trying to tear me down because of my beliefs and BECAUSE I used my freedom of speech. I respect others' beliefs and freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with it. I'm glad that they are sticking up for themselves and talking about issues that mean a lot to them. Why can't others do the same?

Shane and Michelle said...

Thanks, I really can't take credit because Shane wrote this! We both loved the quote by Neal A. Maxwell.
TODAY, Nov. 7, the church issued the following statement on Prop 8 Protest:
"It is disturbing that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is being singled out for speaking up as part of its democratic right in a free election.

Members of the Church in California and millions of others from every faith, ethnicity and political affiliation who voted for Proposition 8 exercised the most sacrosanct and individual rights in the United States — that of free expression and voting.

While those who disagree with our position on Proposition 8 have the right to make their feelings known, it is wrong to target the Church and its sacred places of worship for being part of the democratic process.

Once again, we call on those involved in the debate over same-sex marriage to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility towards each other. No one on either side of the question should be vilified, harassed or subject to erroneous information.

Sarah Stout said...

I didn't know that the church published that today. I'd like to use it in something I'm writing about freedom of speech. Thanks for your faith, Michelle and Shane.

Lucky said...

We are in the days where we will continue to be vilified in everything we do. Just as our Lord was, Our church and many other Christian faiths.
Our recipe to get through this
is three basic ingredients.
Inner strength, faith, and
a sure hope of what lies ahead...