Wednesday, December 10, 2008

O Christmas Tree and Chocolates

On Saturday mornings, Lowes building supply store does something special for kids--so a few weeks ago, Dad decided he wanted to take the boys on a special Father & Sons there. The boys put on their aprons and got to work building... goal posts! At home, Shane captured a picture of their final product:

The goal posts were finally put to use for our Family Home Evening this week. The lesson was on becoming a Forever Family. I printed out a football field and used the homemade goal posts the boys made to complete the football field. One side of the field says "Forever Family Team" and the other side says "Sad Team." We put a football in the middle and had an official kick-off. At each yardline we had to decide together as a team, what our "game plan" was...for example, whether to be kind or fight with each other. We discussed each principle right or wrong, and how it effects our family. Then I did a special recognition by reading a sentence about each member of the family. Everyone had to guess who the person was. It was a great way for us to get to know and appreciate eachother's gifts and talents. Then we signed our name on a special paper that says we promise to do the things discussed on our family game plan. We finished off the night with another special activity...

After our family tree went up last week, I asked the boys what they wanted for Christmas. Braden wanted to make a Gingerbread house and Kyle wanted his very own little Christmas tree. So this year I got a 4 foot tree for Braden and Kyle's room. They were thrilled to be able to decorate it with little ornaments we bought especially for their tree. They think they're so cool to have a Christmas tree in their room! Their first present was a box of chocolates...

11 comments:

Jamie said...

That sounds like a great lesson and fun as well. Hey, I was wondering if I could get your address so I could send you a Christmas card. I don't have your new one. Thanks, in advance.

The Reese's said...

looks like fun!

Lucky said...

This is beyond sentimental and nostalgic for me.I love how heartwarming this all is and how your family is enjoying the spirit of Christmas and family unity.
I so wish we could of spent it together. It means alot to me to come to your site and see your updates. I still have never built or had a ginger bread house!

Lisa said...

What a neat FHE for the kids! Kyle was telling me on the phone that he fixed the tree all up again after he accidently knocked it down. I KNOW this FHE meant a lot to them. You really went all out to make it special. I will miss you guys this year for Christmas.

Curtis Crew said...

what a cute idea. I struggle with FHE ideas with my little kids and that sounds like it would work, with Mialee anyway. Thanks for the post. The Christmas tree in there room sounds like a huge hit so that may be something I do in the future too. great ideas!

Shannon said...

Cute, cute!! What a creative idea for FHE. I bet Shane had fun doing "just Daddy" time with the boys. My kids love having a little tree in their room for Christmas.

Sarah Stout said...

Wow... that is SUCH an excellent family evening idea! Not only did you get the kids involved beforehand, but you then recognized them in the lesson as well. Good job! :)

Natalie said...

What a cute idea. I would have nevr of thought of that. I just saw your twin picture i didnt know you were a twin. How fun. I always wanted to be a twin. :)

Andrea said...

Hi Michelle, Sounds like things are going great! What a cute family! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

What a nice mom you are to put a tree in their room....I'm sure they just love it!