Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kyle held back in 1st grade

I talked with the principal of the school and Kyle scored an 8 on his reading and writing test when he should be scoring 18 or so. So his teacher recommend he be held back in first grade again. I hope being held back doesn't mess with his head. I agreed to allow them to hold him back and I hope I made the right decision. He is naturally an active boy and right now reading isn't something that interests him :). He loves to write stories and draw. His teacher said he's doing well in math. I am worried that he'll have a negative experience with the process. I think how i respond will play a large role in how he responds so i will make it a great experience. And maybe having a head start in 1st will bring out the leader in him!

3 comments:

Lucky said...

He is still young yet and this is should not be a problem, he will learn this subject and bet all the better for it. Now, that being said, I might start worrying once he hits about 14 years old LOL

Stephanie said...

From what I've seen teaching school, at this stage in the game it should not have a negative impact on him. The hard thing will be if kids in 2nd grade make a big fuss about it at recess. I think boys should start school a year after girls anyway...maybe I'm just saying that because my first is starting kindergarten in 3 weeks! :) Good luck and I'm sure you will know just what to say to him.

Shane and Michelle said...

Steph, thank you that means a lot coming from you. :)