Saturday, April 5, 2014

Common Core

Our SCHOOL SYSTEM IS FAILING in many ways. Two out of my three kids struggle to keep up with the new testing standards, yet the program itself is NOT academically rigorous enough. Both the teachers AND students are in an imposition over the new federal testing. 

 Here's some things I keep thinking about: 
1. I would like kids to read better books than they are, including daily scripture study. 

2. Our community lost control on the federal level and ultimately the families are the losers!

3. The program isn't rigorous enough in the right ways. They aren't learning the rationales and concepts, just regurgitate information so they can pass common core tests. 

4. Math- I want them to "learn logic where it belongs." -Gary North

5. I would like the kids to have courses in western civilization, U.S. Constitution and economics in its full, nothing taken out or missing, since they will be the ones required to bring this country back. 

2nd session of General conference is starting so that's all for now. 


2 comments:

Kelly said...

Sorry you have to deal with these issues! How frustrating! Ugh! School is already stressful enough. I stress about Nicole and she is just starting Kindergarten. I can't imagine stressing about her trying to learn things several diff ways.
You guys should move:) haha i'm sure you'll have your good and bad every where. Sure would be nice to have you guys closer. I worried for months whether to put Nicole in a charter school or not. I applied for 2 diff ones, she didnt get in. There are waiting lists. So she is going to the publice school here in Bluffdale. I talked to her preschool teacher and she said she thinks Nicole will do great in public. There are several kids in our neighborhoood in charter schools and i talked to several parents and asked their opinion most all told me they put their child in charter cause they were either behind or ahead. So I'll keep her on list for charter and see how she does at the public this year. Very stressful... growing up in Monticello we didn't have public, private, charter, so to be in the city with all these options/pressure/opinions is stressful:) I haven't heard much of common core. Does every state have it? Good to see you voice your concern! I remember you thinking about home schooling...i personally don't think i could- i would research or take classes. I think i would be overwhelmed handling parenting and teaching. I know you would do your homework and do great at it if you went that route. Good luck! Keep me updated!

Lucky said...

You make great sense and i wish you were involved somehow in the programs that the kids should study and learn from. I can only hope that if this proves to be a disaster on all fronts, that they immediately apply a fix and get things back on track. After all, I'm sure they want whats best for our children, right?????????????