Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day!

Kathy(mom), Bobbi(grandma), Fred(Stepfather) & Suzi (step-sister)

My own mother wrote this poem about her mother. My Grandma is a wonderful person. Always been very hardworking, gracious, beautiful and kind. But busy. Very busy. She and grandpa owned a very successful store (pharmacy/cosmetics) with a little restaurant or "Fountain" they called it, inside the building. The Fountain was always hopping! She "had the capacity to do the work of 6 women" and was often told how amazing she was. But this wasn't the best way for a little child to grow up-- with nannies and maids. The poem is special to me because it's a little family history moment written in poetic form. Both my Grandma and Mother agree that this moment was special, a pivitol moment in their relationship. My mom was about 15 or 16 years old. I want to wish my mom a happy mothers day and thank her for smothering us with love, never working a day in her life while we were growing up, listening to us talk about our day after school for sometimes hours on end, for being at EVERY ONE of our basketball games from 6th grade to 12th as well as all the other activities we were involved in, for being such a great cheerleader, creating a loving homey environment, and loving us the way we are. Want you to know that whenever I listen to this song (wind beneath my wings) it makes me cry because it's how I feel when I think of us! Happy Mothers day to my best friend, my mother!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Mother, My friend
by Kathy Zvetkoff
(dedicated to Grandma Bobbi)

I don't know how I got so lucky
to have the mother that I do
and finally after all these years
she has become my best friend too

It wasn't always so great with the two of us
at times we had little or nothing to say
so when, one special day I was walking up the hill
she was driving down it that day

It was as though time had stopped for us
and nothing else existed
and when abruptly a car behind her kept honking
she had to keep driving, he insisted

I felt so sad and alone at that moment
my feelings could be cut with a knife
so when she finally came home that night
I ran over to her and hung on for DEAR LIFE

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This is a nice tribute to your mom! Hope you had a nice mother's day Michelle.

Lucky said...

This is so very heartfelt of you
and a very lovely tribute
to myself and my mother!
It touched on so many areas
of our lives.. Thanks so much
sweetie, it really meant a lot to me!

Lisa said...

I was really touched by this!

The Linds said...

I love the older picture! Grandma looks like Audrey Hepburn.