Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kyle Got Croup

Aleah has been very sick the last few days. I had a feeling the teething started it. I almost took her in to the pediatrician, but she started feeling better yesterday and I cancelled her appointment. The boys however, have been just fine. Until last night!
We put the kids to bed as usual. Shane rented a couple movies so he stayed up watching one and I went to bed. Around 1:30am he came in with Kyle in his arms asking where the cough medicine was. I could hear Kyle BARKING. I said cough medicine probably won't help. It sounds to me like he has croup. So I got out my medical books and we tried everything. We wrapped him in a blanket and walked him outside in the cool air. That didn't help much. He had what's called stridor or difficulty breathing and that was our real concern. While Shane was walking him outside I started a steam shower so he could sit in the humidified air. He then sat in the steamed filled bathroom but that really didn't help either. I told Shane we should just take him to the emergency room. Shane wanted to wait for a bit. Kyle was getting scared because it was so difficult to breathe. He is such a trusting little guy so even though it was difficult to breathe he remained fairly calm. But, he wouldn't talk to us when we asked him questions because it was too hard for him. He just wanted to be held so we all sat on the couch trying to figure out what to do next. We gave him lots of water. I couldn't stop hugging and kissing him because he is so darn cute. I hate to see my little guy sick. It melts my heart to hear him struggle to speak. His little high pitched voice always melts my heart (even when he's well!) I wanted to see him smile so badly. I decided we should just take him in to the emergency but then I had a thought. Maybe there was a homeopathic remedy for Croup? So I got out my homepathic book and found a remedy for "croup and fear" which is exactly what he had. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Homeopathy can be a little tricky because you have to find the exact remedy or it simply doesn't work. If it does work you will start to feel better within 5 minutes. By 15 minutes you start feeling pretty good. Within a half hour you start feeling like you were never sick. It was worth a try. We gave him 2 little pellets under his tongue. Within 5 minutes he started talking. He said "mom, I want to watch Cat in the Hat. I said oh well I'm not sure about that. He said, "mom, I can't watch Cat in the Hat now because it's too dark!" We were so excited to see him talking! After 15 minutes he was running around the house. We knew the remedy worked. He was still coughing but no longer had stridor or fear. 20 minutes later I put him down to sleep which he was very happy to do all by himself. We are always so surprised when a remedy works. The great thing about homeopathic is that it is safe for everyone and has no side effects. This morning he still has a cough but he's running around being KYLE!! When he got up this morning, he said, "mom I am feeling better. I am not sick anymore!"

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go! I'm glad it worked so you didn't have to waste hours and lots of money at the emergency room.

The Reese's said...

i hate that barking cough. i think that's one of the scariest experiences for a parent when your child is sick and you just don't know what to do and when you should take them to the hospital. i'm glad he's feeling better.

Kelly said...

Glad the kids are feeling better! Alexis has been very sick too. Jonathon gave her a blessing today!

Lucky said...

This is very touching and heartfelt as well.. We read cat in the hat together every night, so this is so nostalgic for me. Which remedy did you use? This is amazing! I was thinking also
a Fathers blessing might take care of it!

Anna said...

wow what a neat story, thanks for sharin! what remedy did you use? how come you have medical books? you must know a lot about suff like that because you know what you're talking about. i would love to study homeopathy more... so glad the little guy's doing better!

Lisa said...

Poor little kyle! I hope he feels better and Aleah too. Every time I call I can hear them all coughing a the same time. Can't wait to come and get sick. lol Just kidding I dont even care I just want to see my little babies!

Shane and Michelle said...

Lisa, hilarious, i hope and pray you guys don't get sick either. They are on the tail end of this. Braden isn't coughing at all and Kyle coughed hardly today at all so hopefully they aren't contagious!

Shane and Michelle said...

Anna, I gave Kyle 30c Aconite and for Aleah's vomitting, 30 cnux vomica. For Aleah it doesn't rid the sickness but it prevented her from vomitting and thus getting dehydrated...