Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our baby is here!


We haven't quite decided on her name yet, (surprise surprise!)but we thought we'd post pictures.

Born June 2, 2009 5:32pm
Weighing 5 lbs 15 oz. 19 inches long



Birth story:
After FHE on Monday night we all went for an evening walk around our block which helped start my labor. Around 10pm I started contracting. At 1am contractions were 20 minutes apart. I called Melody, my midwife in Utah, and she booked a flight and would arrive at 11:43am. By 5am contractions were 5 minutes apart. By 8am they were 3-5 minutes apart. I told my body to slow down and laid down. Contractions stopped and I fell asleep at 8:30am. I woke up at 10am but contractions didn’t start up again until 1pm, just as soon as Shane and Melody walked in the door. It’s amazing how much control your mind has over your body in many respects. Melody checked the baby’s heart tones and position. She was slightly posterior so she had me get in the “stink bug” position for 20-30 min. We were so happy to see one another. We talked about everything from gardens to birth stories and food storage.
She checked me and I was dilated to a 6, completely effaced. Shane pressed my knees in to relieve pressure on my back and pelvis during contractions. Melody was in back of me pressing down on my hips and back, relieving pressure upward and all over, taking away 50 % of the pain. Shane then made homemade warm packs using chucks pads and towels and Melody got a warm bath going. I got into the tub and felt immediate relief. Melody played soft music and put a fan on to cool the upper part of my body off. I silently prayed, asking for nothing, because I knew the Lord knows what I need much better than I do. I was then prompted to pray for “strength.”
Melody called for Shane and told him to get into the tub with me. He sat behind me and we all chatted, then Shane asked if I wanted a blessing. To my surprise, in the blessing, he said the Lord would give me added "strength.” He reiterated that the Lord would give me STRENGTH three more times. We both couldn’t hold back the tears. It was neat and special how that worked out! I didn't tell Shane about my prayer until after the birth. I am thankful that Shane could be so in tune with the Spirit!
Melody checked me and I was dilated to an 8. I told her she couldn’t be serious because I was hardly in pain. She said I was progressing very quickly and had me change positions, so that I sat long ways in the tub with Shane in front of me and Lisa in back of me. I had 3 really hard painful contractions and then they subsided. We all chatted for a little bit, then she checked me again and said I was at a 9 ½ and ready to push. I asked her how that could be because I wasn't in anymore pain then I was before and didn't feel the urge to push? She said, “you will, just give it a push. She’s ready when you are.” So, I breathed in and pushed hard, and suddenly I was thrown in to a long (5 to 10 min straight) laborious painful push and I couldn’t stop it. Melody encouraged me to slow down and do little pushes so I wouldn’t tear. I did that for a couple minutes and then her head and half of her body slipped out into Shane's hands. Melody instructed him to leave her face down and keep her that way as he pulled her up out of the water so she wouldn't get water in her nose. Everyone encouraged me to push again but I was still caught in too much pain and felt I couldn't go on. They gave me additional encouragement to finish. I knew I had to, to get the baby out once and for all so the pain would go away. I breathed in and pushed until the rest of her body slipped out into Shane's hands. She had a little bit of a hard time breathing at first so Melody siphoned her nose and patted her back gently and she made a little cry. I was relieved! It was a beautiful birth. I was more tired to begin with then I was with Aleah's birth because I was up for so long. I'm really grateful for that blessing of added strength. I know without it, I would have been in MUCH more pain.
We are so excited to have her here! She’s tiny...We have her in premie diapers. She is a real sweetie. She is eating and sleeping well!







Aleah loves the new baby so much. She throws a tantrum when her brothers hold her!



28 comments:

Lucky said...

This is so special and the baby is beautiful! I love all these pictures and you explained what happened very well! I know
your prayers were heard and answered! We are all so blessed to have a healthy grand-daughter and now we need to get you on the mend as well. I am so happy Lisa is there taking care of you, we appreciate all she has done to help! I will see you soon!

kendra said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. What a miracle each new life is! Glad everyone is doing well!

Leatherwood Family Adventures said...

Hey Michelle, Congrats on the new addition..I'm glad it went soo well..Thanks for sharing the pictures..she is adorable!! Can't wait to meet her!!

Lisa said...

ha ha aleah is hilarious! She is so much fun! Thanks for having me here to help. I've enjoyed every moment. Amazing delivery!

Melanni said...

It was so fun to see all FOUR of your children lined up! What a great birth story. I'm glad you didn't feel much pain till the end-that's so good! I am usually in so much pain when I am only dilated to a 1 that I am throwing up. She is a beautiful baby girl and you look fabulous! Thanks for sharing your story(0:

Nate and Brooke said...

Congrats Shane and Michelle, what a precious little miracle!! Can't believe you have four kids!! I am so greatful the lord gave you enough strength to have a home birth... You truly amaze me with your courage and faith. We love you, Glad she is finally here!!!

Brossettelewis said...

I love the side by side by side picture. She so cute.

allgirls said...

Congratulations! your family is so beautiful. I love the picture of all the kids lined up what a cute idea. I loved reading the birth story what a great delivery. You look amazing by the way. Can't wait to hear what her name is...

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm glad everything went so well!:)

Aweir said...

Congratulations! I am so glad everything went well! You look amazing and the baby is adorable! Good luck coming up with a name!

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness! I ate up every bit of your journey! Amazing. I was most thrilled that your contractions stopped so you could have Melody here- what a relief for you and support you needed!! Heavenly Father knew, too (of course)! She is darling!! Congratulations to all of you! I loved Aleah's look of pure delight as she holds her baby. I hope you are resting now!
love, Heidi

The Reese's said...

congrats! cute pictures of everyone :)

The Buts said...

Holy smokes! What a birth story. I am always going crazy in the hospital with Joanie's deliveries. I am amazed at your courage to forego an epidural and do the whole thing like you do. I guess it really tests your faith. Well, congratulations to the whole family. What a special blessing it is to add another little spirit to your eternal family. We are so happy for you, and can't wait to meet "Jane Doe" Butler. ,quinn

Anna said...

i'm so glad everything went so smoothly for you and that you and baby are healthy and happy! you are truly inspiring.

Teresa said...

Congratulations! She is perfect. I am so glad that everything went well. I can't wait to find out what you name her!

underwhelmed said...

Congratulations! She looks wonderful and so do you. I'll be interested to know what you name her. Great family blog, thanks for sharing.

Yvonne said...

Michelle, I am so excited for you guys! Your story was amazing and YOU are the woman. She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. I am glad that you are feeling good. Let me know if you need anything!!!
Love
Yvonne

Kelly said...

Congrats!! She is so tiny. Can't wait to meet her and see what you name her! What a cute family you have...4 kids, wow and still look great:)It was so good to see Shane last weekend! Can't wait to see the whole fam again!!

Sarah Stout said...

She is SO beautiful, Michelle! Congrats! I'm so glad that everything went well for you through this birth. You look great, even though you just had a baby. :)

P.S. I thought of another Madison in our family... Trevor's daughter!

Lucky said...

Addy Kate sounds so cute and really a fun name to say too!
See ya soon honey...

TravisandTaryn Barrett said...

She is beautiful, congrats!!! You have your hands full for sure.

Shannon said...

Yeah, she's finally here. Actually it feels like she is already here!! I am amazed at your strength and your willingness to rely on the Lord. How neat that Shane gave you a blessing right in the middle of labor. I really enjoyed reading your story. That is one tiny baby and so so cute too. Michelle, you look so great already. We love you guys and I hope you are getting lots of rest and quiet time with your baby. I love her name btw!! And oh it was so nice to see Shane and get to chat with him.

Natalie said...

Oh, she is so sweet. I love the name to. We want to name our next little girl that. I love your story and am glad that everything turned out great. You look amazing by the way. I wish i looked half that good after my kids were born. I hope everything continues to go well for you guys.

Roxy said...

she's beautiful and i'm glad everything went so well with the delivery, you definitely have a lot of strength!

Stephanie said...

Congrats! What a fantastic birth story! You are so strong, physically and spritually. What a blessing.

allgirls said...

her name is soooo cute and its got a fun little ring to it! hope you are resting and doing well...

Shari Tate said...

Congrats Michelle!

Rochelle said...

Congrats on your new addition! She's so cute! I'm so excited for you guys! I love the name you chose too!